The control panell  actually seems pretty accessible on the mac with voice
over, i just plugged in my 144 and opened it up and could see all the options
and etc. That being said the only thing u would need it for atleast on the 144
is changing the clock source for the digital inputs. It automatically by
default would follow the sample rate of the project you are working in. So you
don't need to go in ther to change sample rate or bit depth, or for any of the
direct monitoring stuff. The US144 MKII which i haave has 5 knobs on the unit.
1 Gain knob each for each of the analog inputs, of which there are 2 and theh
can take xlr or 1/4' balanced or unbalanced. There is a knob that sets the mix
between direct monitoring and comes playing back from your DAW. So at 12 o
clock its a 50/50 mix, all the way to one side you only hear the daw, all the
way to ther other side you only hear the direct signal. Then there is a
headphone volume knob and a volume knob for the speaker outs. There is also a
phantom power switch, a hi z/lowz switch so u can use line level or plug an
instrument in directly with the 1/4 ins, and a mono/stereo switch , which when
in mono  everything is monitored centered through the direct monitoring. When
in stereo mode,  whatever comes in on channel 1 is on the left and channel 2 is
on the right. I believe this just for monitoring and not for recording. The
US122 if i am not mistaken just doesn't have the digital inputs and doesn't
have a  separate knob for headphones and speaker volume.
- T.O.M