Yes happend a few times to me as well and not only in a recording
environment, believe me it's even worse at a live show with the band on
stage, everybody looking at you, expecting something, you get your
assistant engineer and techies to troubleshoot every possible cable and
connection, then boom the little phantom button and everyone laughs.
Another favourite when working on a analog desk is equalizing the heck out
of a track thinking you're doing something, after a while wondering damm
why is this EQ so uneffective and then realising the EQ button on the
channel is switched out. You might think this only happens to rookies
because they EQ and think they here changes but I've seen it happen to the
best of the best most experienced sound guys and eventually after a few
attempts you only realise something's wrong and the button is out.