Hi Kevin and others. The Rode NT1 is a awesome mic and I will recommend it
any day as a studio condenser for doing vocals or acoustic instruments like
guitars, violens or piano. However kevin, the NT2 is the one with the pad
and patern switching and my opinion if you can afford the $100 or so more
I'd rather go for the NT2 as it esentially sounds the same as the NT1 but
with the aditional pick up paterns and pad.
As for your room, it's highly recommended to get some room treetment
especially if you're going to do vocals with condenser mics because they
are very sensitive and the quietest condenser mic in the world won't
help anything if you have a loud noisy room. As said you can do a lot of
stuff DIY style without spending a lot of money on a pro person or company
to do it for you but if you have the budget it is obviously better to get
in the pros. There's a lot of stuff on the net about DIY acoustics and you
can get verry far by doing some reading and by experementing a little with
different things. You can make a lot of improvements by using blankets,
carpet, cardboard boxes, spunge/phome etc. used in the rite ways and placed
rite.
For serious studio vocals I'd always recommend condenser mics like the Rode
NT1 and NT2 mentioned above and as also mentioned the NT2 can switch to
omni directional to pick up people singing in a group or a string section
etc. If you really want to use dynamic mics you can get verry far with
something like the SM58, a lot of studio engineers would consider dynamic
mics for vocal recording a big no, no but it can be done, for example U2's
Bonno only records vocals with his SM58.
Mics really depends a lot on your budget and needs, I've mentioned the Rode
mics, AKG has awesome vocal mics at the budget end starting at the c1000
going up to the c414 etc and you can also look at shure, a lot of people
only see shure mics as live mics but they have awesome studio mics in fact
the SM in SM58 actually stands for studio microphone. Dynamic as said look
at the SM58 and condenser wise the beta87 is awesome for recording and also
the KSM109.
As you probably know by now the ideal situation would be to keep your
equipment like computer and hard drive in one room and record in another
but if not possible you can do it in one room, as mentioned by use of
longer cables distance the mic and your computer as far away from each
other as possible. In sted of covering your computer with something like a
blanket a good idea is just to put a barryer between thee computer and the
mic, you can do this with a acoustic pannel or something as simple as a
blanket hanged between 2 mic stands can also do the trick.