A piece of recorded audio is called a region. Well, now in version 10, it's
called a clip, technically. The name "region" is still being used but will
probably be phased out over time. Any piece of recorded audio is, in itself, a
clip. When cutting a piece to move it around, one must cut at least somewhere,
thus creating a new clip. It's analogous to cutting tape. Have you ever edited
magnetic tape?

Slau