Just as an FYI, I actually tried everything you mentioned here and nothing
worked. Lion Disk Maker gave me an error when trying to generate one version of
a Lion boot disk, successfully created another, but unfortunately, that boot
disk would not install Lion. In fact, any boot disk I successfully created
always forced me to install Mountain Lion.

I even went so far as to expose the Recovery partition and edit one of the
plist files by hand to make the system think I had 10.7 and still no dice. I
chose not to continue on that path to completely remove the Recovery partition
as this is a work computer which I rely on so chose not to take the chance of
having it not know at all which OS it would allow to install and also have no
Recovery OS left. I suspect though, that this option would have finally allowed
me to install Lion.

I chose instead to go to the Apple Store and see what they could do. they as
always, were awesome and were able to install Lion from their own network copy
so at last, I have an external SSD running a completely clean install of Lion
10.7.5 with a Recovery partition which will also allow me to install Lion again
in future, should I need! Woohoo! :)

The first thing I plan to do is to image this drive as well as the Recovery
partition so this craziness never happens again! lol! :)

I just thought I'd update y'all on this situation and thank you for all your
replies! You rock!

Smiles,

Cara :)