Music On iPad
I/O
Maestro
Video/Audio
Artists
Specifications
Reviews

Duet for iPad & Mac

The first professional stereo audio interface for iPad & Mac

Price: $649

Meet Duet

The most respected portable audio interface ever

Apogee Duet is an award-winning audio interface, headphone amp and MIDI
interface making it easy to create professional recordings anywhere on your
iPod touch, iPhone, iPad or Mac. With Apogee’s legendary digital audio
conversion and world-class mic preamps, Duet is the best way to capture your
music with incredible dimension and detail.

The new Duet for iPad and Mac features special circuitry designed to deliver
professional performance for iPad use along with low latency USB 2.0
performance for Mac. And with the addition of MIDI I/O you can connect and
power a Core MID compatible keyboard/controller while using Duet with your iPad
or iOS device.

Legendary Sound Quality

Why Apogee Duet is the best choice for your studio

Apogee is an award-winning industry leader in digital recording technology with
over 25 years of experience. Preferred by recording pros around the world,
Apogee products like Duet, Ensemble and Symphony I/O have been instrumental in
creating countless GRAMMY® and OSCAR® winning recordings and have set the
industry standard in professional recording for over two decades. Duet is built
solidly on this reputation.

Highlights

Charges iOS device.

Duet charges the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad when connected so your work is not
interrupted.

Stereo inputs.

2 analog inputs with world-class mic preamps and selectable 48v phantom power
for connecting microphones, instruments or line-level devices.

Works with iOS and Mac.

Direct connection with Lightning or 30-pin iOS devices (iPhone, iPod touch,
iPad) and USB connection to Mac.

Maestro app for iOS and Mac.

Software control of hardware parameters including input selection and low
latency monitoring.

iOS 7 compatible

Works with iOS 7 on iPad, iPhone, iPod touch

More information>

OS X Mavericks Compatible

Works with OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Download the latest Software Installer>

Sound Quality

The Apogee Advantage

A difference you will hear.

>From the mic preamps to the AD/DA converters and the clocking, Duet is
>best-in-class and cutting-edge Apogee technology. With components carefully
>selected in critical listening tests and a highly efficient circuit design,
>Duet was built by Apogee engineers to make a difference you can hear.

Pristine, next generation AD/DA converters

Duet’s AD/DA converters are designed to deliver the purest recordings and best
listening experience possible. Duet’s efficient circuitry and state-of-the-art
components provide a simplified signal path resulting in incredibly transparent
recordings.

Smooth, detailed world-class mic preamps

Much like the AD/DA converters, Duet’s mic preamps feature the latest
components and offer seamless click-free transitions as the gain increases and
decreases throughout the incredible range of 0-75dB. This unprecedented feature
allows you to dial in the perfect level, either with the controller knob or
from within software, while delivering ultra-low noise and smooth, crisp
detail. Duet’s mic pres are suitable for all dynamic, condenser or ribbon
microphones, allowing you to capture any sound without compromise.

Soft Limit

Soft Limit for protection from digital overs

An Apogee technology first introduced in 1992 on Apogee’s AD-500 converter,
Soft Limit can be heard on countless platinum selling records around the world.
Once a technology exclusively reserved for Apogee’s most advanced audio
converters, Soft Limit is included in Duet and can be enabled in Apogee Maestro
software.

This superior analog design prevents the digital clipping that causes
distortion by instantaneously rounding off transient peaks before they hit the
analog-to-digital converter. Soft Limit allows several more decibels of
apparent level to be recorded while subtly providing an analog-like warmth to
the sound.

Music creation on iPad

A revolution in personal & professional recording

Apple’s iPad is an incredible audio recording and music creation tool. Starting
at $399, it is by far the most accessible, reliable and dynamic way to make
music.

iPad puts you in touch with your creativity

Interacting with iPad to make music is like playing an instrument. In fact,
some apps like Apple’s GarageBand turn your iPad into a guitar or virtual
instrument. Whether you are moving faders on a mixer, adjusting software
parameters, or editing a waveform, iPad’s multi-touch interface is a more hands
on environment and superior to mouse clicks or track pad swipes.

There’s a music app for everything

There are hundreds of music apps for iOS and iPad. With multi-track recording
DAWs like GarageBand and Auria, synths and drum machines like Animoog and DM1,
utilities and guitar effects like Audiobus and JamUp Pro, the music creation
offering for iPad is vast and varied. And most apps are more affordable than
their Mac based counterparts.

Setting up your studio has never been easier

iPad makes everything easier with a simplified user interface and plug and play
connectivity for accessories like Apogee audio interfaces. You’ll be amazed by
how simple it is to set up your studio.

Share your music

Sharing functionality is built-in to most apps, making it easier then ever to
move files and collaborate on different devices including iPad to Mac.

Pro I/O meets iOS

Apogee. The first to make professional recording on iPad a reality.

Apogee pioneered studio-quality recording on iPad with JAM, the first digital
guitar input and MiC the first professional digital microphone for iPad. JAM
was featured in Apple’s iPad 2, GarageBand launch video. Now with ONE, Duet and
Quartet, Apogee is the first to introduce professional multi-track recording
interfaces to the world of iPad and iOS. These products complete this amazing
platform by offering musicians, producers and engineers professional tools for
music recording, production and listening.

Superior sound quality

For almost 30 years, Apogee has been setting the standard in digital audio
recording technology with award-winning products.

Maestro control software for iOS

Apogee ONE, Duet and Quartet are the first audio interfaces to feature software
control made for iPad and iOS devices. Apogee’s Maestro lets you access all
hardware parameters and monitor with a low latency mixer.

More about Maestro>

Direct digital connection to iPad

Apogee ONE, Duet and Quartet for iPad and Mac feature special circuitry that
makes a direct digital connection to iPad and iOS devices and is certified by
Apple’s MFi (Made for iOS) program.

DC power charges iPad

In audio, adequate power is essential for excellent sound quality. With a
direct digital connection and an external power source, ONE, Duet and Quartet
are able to charge your iPad while you record so your work will not be
interrupted.

Inputs & Outputs

All the I/O You Need

Breakout Cable

Duet’s breakout cable includes 2 combination mic/instrument connectors (XLR and
1/4” built into a single connector) and 2 balanced 1/4” connectors for
speakers. The elegant single cable-to-junction design allows for easy cable
management and the locking connection to Duet is robust and stylish.

2 Analog Inputs

Duet’s 2 combination input connectors (XLR and 1/4”) allow you to connect
microphones, guitars and keyboards or your favorite external mic preamps,
compressors and EQs.

4 Analog Outputs

Duet includes 4 analog outputs. 2 1/4” balanced outputs for connection to
speakers or outboard equipment and a separate, independently controlled 1/4”
stereo headphone output.

With these 4 outputs it’s possible for a DJ to monitor a separate mix in
headphones while sending a house mix to the club, a live performer to send a
click track to in-ear monitors while sending a backing track to front-of-house,
and a recording engineer to send a headphone mix to the performer while
dedicating the main outputs to studio monitors.

MIDI

Duet provides a single USB MIDI connection for your CoreMIDI compatible
keyboard, synth, or DJ controller. This eliminates the need for an external
MIDI interface and promotes an all-in-one music creation solution where Duet
and Maestro manage all audio and MIDI. On iPad, Duet’s MIDI connection allows
both Duet and a keyboard or DJ controller to be connected at the same time to
the iPad's single connector (Lightning or 30-pin).

Breakout Box Accessory

Available as a separate accessory for Duet is a solidly built, aluminum
breakout box with 2 1/4” inputs, 2 XLR inputs (for 2 simultaneous channels of
input) and 2 balanced XLR outputs. The Duet breakout box features
studio-quality I/O connectors and includes a 2 meter cable allowing you to
extend your input and output connections away from your desktop and minimize
cable clutter.

Please note the breakout box does not enable extra inputs or outputs. Whether
you are using the breakout cable or breakout box Duet is capable of 2 channels
of analog input (mic, line, or instrument) and 4 channels of analog output
(left/right headphones and left/right monitor outputs).

Apogee Maestro Software

Mac and iOS application for low latency monitoring and control of Apogee audio
interfaces

Advanced Software Control for Advanced I/O

Access all control functions and settings with Maestro, Apogee’s comprehensive
software control application. Maestro features a single window interface with
quick access to all device and system settings. Select your input type, enable
Soft Limit on mic and instrument inputs, and use the mixer for low latency
monitoring. Maestro lets you easily configure your Apogee interface to fit your
workflow.

All new Maestro developed for iPod touch, iPhone and iPad

Apogee’s new free Maestro app for iOS brings total hardware control to iPad.
Designed to create a seamless transition between Mac and iOS, Maestro’s design
was customized for each device; iPhone, iPad and Mac, ensuring an intuitive
user interface across every platform. The app includes all the same essential
functions available on the Mac including low latency monitoring. Maestro can be
downloaded for free from the Apple App Store on your iPod Touch, iPhone, or
iPad.

USB 2.0

High Speed, High Performance

Faster than FireWire

Duet features USB 2.0 High-speed connectivity to Mac. Advances in the Mac’s
Core Audio driver have made USB faster than FireWire 400 with incredible
latency performance. And there’s a USB port on every Mac.

...and as fast as USB 3.0

While USB 3.0 offers approximately 10x the bandwidth of USB 2.0, USB 2.0 far
exceeds the bandwidth Duet requires for its 2 inputs and 4 outputs, delivering
exceptional audio performance without compromise.

Related Apogee Knowledgebase articles:

What is latency?
Why not USB 3.0?
Why not Thunderbolt™?

Control

See it, Select it, Dial it in

Full Color OLED Display

High-resolution display shows all input and output details

The high resolution OLED screen built into Duet’s top is the main control
center for Duet, delivering visual feedback for multiple functions including
metering, numeric value for input and output levels, input grouping, and phase,
muting, phantom power and Soft Limit indication. With this display you know the
status of any input and output at any given moment without having to refer to
Maestro or your recording software.

Multi-function Controller Knob

Along with its sleek aluminum chassis, the multi-function controller knob is
one of the most recognizable features of Duet’s design. This central control
feature allows you to quickly and easily toggle thru Duet's inputs and outputs
and set levels while looking at Duet’s dynamic OLED display.

Configurable Touchpads

Duet also introduces configurable touchpads. The 2 touchpads, located on either
side of the encoder knob, allow you to quickly access output functions such as
“Mute Outputs”, “Dim Outputs”, “Sum to Mono” or “Toggle Headphone Source”. Each
are assignable using a drop-down menu within Apogee’s new Maestro 2. This
unique feature allows you to select the function you want and access it
directly from Duet without having to look at software.

Panel Tour

Video

Professional Apogee recording on your iPad, iPhone, and Mac

Erick Serna and the Killing Floor record "Whiskey Song".

Using Apogee ONE, Duet and Quartet, along with Auria and iPad, Erick Serna and
the Killing Floor recorded "Whiskey Song". Erick recorded his guitar and vocals
using ONE, and then exported from Auria into Dropbox. Julio and Cliff then
downloaded the session from Dropbox onto their iPad and recorded bass and drums
using Quartet. Julio recorded his bass direct. Cliff's drums were recorded with
a Neumann U67 over the kit and another in front, a AKG D112 on kick and a Shure
SM57 on snare.

Watch the video>

Audio Samples

Click on the images above for mic placement shots.

Recording Drums with Duet 2

Microphones used:

AKG D112 (mounted inside the kick drum)

Neumann M49

Drums used:

Bass drum is a Ludwig "3 ply" 24x14"

Snare drum is a Pearl "Free Floating" 6 1/2 x 14"

This take was recorded directly into Logic with no effects or plug-ins.

Duet 2 Drums

        Download Duet 2 Drums .WAV file
approx. 7MB

Click on the images above for mic placement shots.

Recording Drums for the Duet 2 video

Microphones used:

Shure Beta 52/ Shure SM57

Beyerdynamic M88/ Neumann M49

These takes were recorded directly into Logic with no effects or plug-ins.

Check out the story and video here>

Duet 2 Drums Beta 52/SM57

        Download Duet 2 Video Drums Beta 52/SM57.WAV file
approx. 11MB

Duet 2 Drums M88/M49

        Download Duet 2 Video Drums M88/M49.WAV file
approx. 11MB

Click on the images above for mic placement shots.

Recording Piano in stereo with Duet 2 and Paul "Wix" Wickens

Keyboardist and Composer Paul "Wix" Wickens (Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Joni
Mitchell, Bon Jovi) records the Bosendorfer with Bob Clearmountain and Brandon
Duncan using Duet 2. The first take was recorded using the AKG C24 stereo
microphone and the second take with a stereo pair of AKG 451's.

Both takes were recorded directly into Logic with no effects or plug-ins.

AKG C24 stereo microphone

        Download C24 .WAV file
approx. 15MB

Stereo pair of AKG 451's

        Download Stereo 451 .WAV file
approx. 18MB

Click on the images above for mic placement shots.

Recording B3 with Duet 2

If you listen carefully at :20 you can hear the chorus/tremolo knob bounce
across the floor after coming loose.

Microphones used:

2 Neumann KM-86 mics

This take was recorded directly into Logic with no effects or plug-ins.

Duet 2 B3

        Download Duet 2 B3 .WAV file
approx. 18MB

Specifications

System Requirements:

Mac OS:

Computer: Intel Mac 1.5GHz or faster
Memory: 2 GB RAM minimum, 4 GB recommended
OS: 10.6.8, 10.7.5 or greater
Connection and power: Any available USB port on a Mac
USB bus powered; DC power optional
(DC power supply included)

iOS:

iOS version: 5.1.1 or greater
Connection: 30-pin or Lightning connector
DC power required (DC power supply included)
iOS device compatibility

iPod touch (5th generation), iPod touch (4th generation)

iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
iPhone 4s, iPhone 4

iPad (4th generation), iPad (3rd generation), iPad 2, iPad

iPad mini

Compatible Software:

Mac
Any Mac Core Audio compatible application
Recommended apps: Logic, GarageBand, MainStage, Final Cut, Pro Tools, Ableton
Live, Digital Performer, Studio One, Cubase, and Nuendo
iOS
Any iOS Core Audio compatible app. Recommended apps: GarageBand, Auria
In the box:

Duet
Breakout Cable with:
2 Combination Line/Mic/Instrument Inputs
2 Balanced Line Outputs
USB Cable
Lightning iOS cable
30-pin iOS cable
Universal Power Adapter for US, UK and EU
Quick Start Guide
Features:

First professional stereo audio interface for iPad
Works with GarageBand, Auria, MultiTrack; Any Core Audio compatible app on iOS
Works with GarageBand, Logic, Pro Tools, Ableton; Any Core Audio compatible app
on Mac
USB 2.0 Mac and iOS audio interface
2 analog inputs:
Combination Line (balanced +20dBu max)
Mic/Instrument (+20dBu/+14dBu max)
2 Microphone preamps with up to 75dB of gain
Selectable 48v phantom power, Soft Limit and phase invert
4 analog outputs:
2 Balanced line outputs, +20 dBu maximum output level
1 Independent 1/4” stereo headphone output
MIDI connection (Core MIDI compatible; USB-A type connector)
A/D and D/A conversion at 24-bit/192kHz
Controller knob selects function, sets input and output level
Top panel high resolution OLED display
Two assignable top panel touch pads to control:
Mute speakers, headphones or all outputs
Dim speakers, headphones or all outputs
Sum to mono speakers, headphones or all outputs
Assign headphones to outputs 1-2, 3-4 or low latency mixer
Clear Meters
Apogee’s Maestro (Mac & iOS) app for advanced control
Legendary Apogee sound quality
Designed in California - Made in the U.S.A.
Mic Pre:

EIN: 128dB (un-weighted) @ 60dB, 150Ohm input
Max input level: +20dBu
Input impedance: 3KOhm
Hi-Z:

Max input level 14 dBu
Input impedance: >2MOhm
A/D conversion:

Max input level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
Max input level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
Input impedance: 5KOhm
Freq resp 20 Hz -20Khz: > +/-0.2dB (@44.1Khz)
Rel. THD + N: -106dB (@ 96Khz)
Dyn. Range: 114dB (A-weighted)
D/A conversion:

Max output level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
Max output level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
Line output impedance: 90 Ohm
Max output level headphones: 19dBu
HPH output impedance 30 Ohm.
Freq resp 20Hz -20 Khz: > +/- 0.05dB (@44.1Khz)
Rel. THD+N : -113dB (@96Khz)
Dyn Range: 123dB (A-weighted)

Reviews

Truly pro audio comes to your Mac AND iOS devices

by Brad McCarty

"In short, the Duet truly is a professional level audio interface. But it’s
more than that; it’s somewhat future-proofing yourself. If we’re truly entering
the post-PC era, then it’s time that we take our mobile devices seriously as
equipment that is completely capable of (and in many cases preferred) producing
incredible results that we’ve previously only seen in desktop machines. The
Duet makes this possible, and right now it’s the only machine on the market of
its caliber."

Read the full review here>

Apogee's Duet brings top-quality sound to the bedroom-producer market

by Glenn Jackson

"The Duet for iPad & Mac interface is Apogee’s latest step towards bringing its
renowned sound to those outside the world of professional recording studios,
streamlining everything that has made Apogee products an industry standard into
a more compact, portable, and affordable package, and now complete with full
MIDI functionality and the ability to work directly with an iPad or iPhone"

Read the full review here>

PC Magazine Product Review - Apogee Duet for iPad & Mac

See what PC Magazine says Apogee Duet and how it compares to the competition.

Read the full review here>

Customer Reviews

Rock Solid

"This my first apogee interface. I own the Scarlett 2i2, Audiobox, 2 firebox, 2
Apollos, and more. I must say that this interface works great and sound good.
It is easy to use and the drivers are rock solid. I bought my Duet as a
portable solution with my MacBook. I'm using it with pro tools 10 and it
functions well. I love my Duet and I am glad that I exchanged my Forte.."

LaSonia from Sherrill, AR
>From Sweetwater

Apogee Duet for iPad and Mac

"I was going to ask Marcos Sanchez, my Sweetwater guy, why the Apogee Duet was
so expensive, but after we brought it in and set it up I knew the answer. The
quality is second to none! It's well built and enhances playback as well as
recording. And frankly, I've never seen preamps with so much headroom. This
little unit has truly revolutionized the way that we record and play back."

Keith from Terre Haute, Indiana
>From Sweetwater

I want to marry this thing I love it so much!

"I'm an audiobook narrator with a home studio. I was having trouble with an
M-Box that was on its last legs, and my Sweetwater rep suggested this little
unit. WHOA. Easy to set up, I love the Maestro software that comes with it,
love the simplicity of the design and controls, and the sound...with my Neumann
TLM102 hooked up to the Duet, there is SO much more headroom!! I didn't know
there would be such a difference. After hearing what this unit can do all by
itself, I not only got rid of the M-Box, I also sold a tube preamp that had
been helping the M-Box limp along. The Duet is all I need for great-sounding
recordings. This is one hot little piece of equipment...I am in love...you
should totally get this thing. Absolutely worth the price and then some."

Andy from Virginia, USA
>From Sweetwater

Apogee gear for music creation on a Mac, iPad and iPhone

JAM

Studio quality guitar input

Works with: iPhone, iPad, Mac

PureDIGITAL instrument connection for pristine sound quality
Designed specifically for electric guitar and electric bass
Optimized for active and passive pickups
No configuration, just plug in and play
Input only, output via iPhone, iPad or Mac
$99

MiC

Studio quality microphone

Works with: iPhone, iPad, Mac

Studio quality cardioid condenser microphone
PureDIGITAL connection for pristine sound quality
No configuration, just plug in and record
Designed for vocal and acoustic instrument recording
Input only, output via iPhone, iPad or Mac
$199

ONE for iPad & Mac

2 IN x 2 OUT USB audio interface/microphone
for iPad & Mac

Works with: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Mac

2 channels of Apogee A/D conversion and microphone preamps
2 outputs for headphones or powered monitors
Built-in microphone
Maestro control software for iOS and Mac
$349

Duet for iPad & Mac

2 IN x 4 OUT USB audio interface for iPad & Mac

Works with: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Mac

2 channels of Apogee A/D conversion and microphone preamps
4 outputs, Independent speaker and headphone outs
Balanced outputs
Full color OLED display
MIDI I/O
Maestro control software for iOS and Mac
$649

Quartet for iPad & Mac

4 IN x 8 OUT USB audio interface and studio control center for iPad & Mac

Works with: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Mac

4 channels of Apogee A/D conversion and microphone preamps
8 outputs, Independent speaker and headphone outs
Balanced outputs
2 Full color OLED display
3 speaker set monitor control
MIDI I/O
Maestro control software for iOS and Mac
$1395

ONE for Mac

1 IN x 2 OUT USB Microphone and Audio Interface
for Mac

Works with: Mac

Built-in condenser microphone
Instrument input for guitar, bass or keyboards
World-Class mic preamp input
Studio quality stereo output
$249

GIO

1 IN x 2 Out USB guitar interface and software controller for Mac

Works with: Mac

World-class instrument preamp and converters
Hands-free Software control for GarageBand, Logic and MainStage
Studio quality output to a guitar amp, headphones or powered monitors
$395

Ensemble

8 IN x 8 OUT FireWire audio interface for Mac

All-in-one FireWire audio interface for Mac

This product is no longer in production

Check the Apogee Store for refurbished Ensembles>

Works with: Mac

8 channels of Apogee’s legendary A/D and D/A conversion
4 transparent, digitally controlled 75dB mic preamps
S/PDIF, ADAT and Word Clock connections
“SoftLimit”, “UV22HR” and “Intelliclock”

Symphony I/O

2-to-32 channel modular audio interface for Mac

Works with: Mac

Next generation converter quality
Modular design, flexible I/O and future-proof connectivity
Easily switch between Logic, Pro Tools HD, USB or Standalone Mode
Customize your Symphony I/O with 6 Modules
Starting at

$2495

Symphony I/O | ThunderBridge

64-channel Thunderbolt audio interface
for Symphony I/O

Works with: Mac

64 channels of 24-bit 192kHz digital I/O
1.8 milliseconds of latency from analog source in to analog source out
Compatible with Symphony I/O and X-Symphony-equipped Rosetta 800, 200, AD16X
and DA16X
2 Thunderbolt™ ports for connecting additional peripherals

$995

Products

Big Ben
Duet
GiO
JAM
MiC
ONE
Quartet
Symphony I/O

Solutions

Guitar
Music Creation
Post Production
Live Sound
Audio for DSLR Video

Answers

Register your Product

Downloads

Press | Company Info | Employment | Environment | Philanthropy | Sound Amazing

© 2013, Apogee Electronics Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Apogee is a Certified Green Manufacturer