Hi James,

I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can for now.

>> 1. How can I preview unused clips from the region list?

Auditioning clips from the regions list is done by Option-clicking on the clip
in the list. You'd have to route the mouse pointer to the file name and perform
a physical mouse or track pad click while holding down the Option key.
VoiceOver does not currently support modified clicks of this type so it has to
be done with the mouse or track pad.

>> 2. How can I move an unused clip to a track? Let's say I have 4 bars
>> recorded, but I want to bring bar 2 and 3 from previously recorded clip.

This is done visually by dragging the clip from the regions list into a track.
For obvious reasons, this is quite challenging to a VoiceOver user. It used to
be possible to do this relatively easily with the old outSPOKEN screen reader.
You can still attempt this with a track pad but I can't guarantee success. If
you hide all tracks except for the track to which you'd like to drag the clip
and set its display to jumbo or extreme, you can route the mouse pointer to the
clip, click and drag the clip to the center of the track pad and let go. You'll
need to pay attention to whether you have any regions in the track already
because you may inadvertently drop a clip right on top of another. If you
include a modifier before the mouse down, you can get different results like
snapping to the insertion point or activating the spot dialog where you can
specify the location where the clip should go.

The alternative is to import the clip to a new audio track , cut the clip and
paste it into the desired spot on the track you're working on.

I should also point out that, if you're dealing with clips from various takes,
it's best to create playlists for each take so that each take is easily
accessible. Using the name of the track as the basic playlist works best. For
example, create a track named "Vocal" and duplicate it. The resulting track
name, and therefore playlist, becomes Vocal01. As you record onto this track,
the filenames will start with Vocal.01-01, Vocal.01-02, Vocal.01_03, etc. This
is all vocal take one. When you're ready for take two, create a new playlist
and the track name will automatically be Vocal.02 and the filenames will all be
.02_01, .02_02, .02_03, etc. In the end, copy the best take into the original
playlist named "Vocal" and then use bits of whichever take is best for any
given line, phrase, word, etc. If you make a selection in the master "Vocal"
playlist, you can audition the various takes and the transport will just play
the selected area. When you find the take that sounds best, copy, then move to
the master playlist and paste.

>> 3. Also, is there a shortcut to nudge a selected clip to a closest grid
>> without cutting and pasting?

I never use Grid mode so I can't comment. I do use nudge mode to essentially
accomplish the same thing providing I'm moving by bars and beats.

>> 4. Let's say I have clip A on bar 1 and clip B on bar 2, and both are 1 bar
>> long. I accidentally nudged Clip A to bar 2, so they overlap exactly on the
>> same spot. Then how can I choose clip A or clip B?

If the two clips are exactly the same length and you've nudged one on top of
another, it's not possible to select the one beneath, at least as far as I can
tell. Now, that may be different in version 11 and I don't know off the top of
my head. I won't be able to check that for another day or so.

Of course, there's always Undo if it happens by mistake and you catch it
quickly enough. As I mentioned earlier, the key is to keep multiple playlists
to have the flexibility to grab clips as needed.

One more thing I should mention since you inquired about working with clips
with shortcuts rather than numeric keypad, you can move to and select entire
clips by using Control-tab or Control-Option-tab. Be aware that, for the
latter, you have to perform the keystroke twice because Control-Option-Tab is
the command to pass through a keystroke. The shortcuts for navigating regions
is in the keyboard shortcuts pdf file that comes with Pro Tools.

Hope that helps,