Slau, YOU ARE A GENTLEMEN, AND A SCHOLAR!  Grin!

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Slau Halatyn
  To: ptaccess@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2014 11:50 AM
  Subject: a general observation about Pro Tools accessibility & users

  With the recent strides forward in Pro Tools accessibility, I wanted to share
some thoughts. This is absolutely not referring to anybody in particular but
rather a trend that we've seen over the years. It first started way back when
Pro Tools first became accessible under OS 9, happened again when Pro Tools
8.0.4 came out and now I see it's happening again. With each ramping up of
usability, there has historically been an influx of new users. When I first
began using Pro Tools in college back in 1994, I had some usable vision but,
when I began using it full time in the studio at around 2002, I had spent no
less than six months reading the manuals. The first time I read the manuals, I
understood fairly little, even though I had used Pro tools in the past and was
well-versed in Digital Performer. Things are different in Pro Tools than other
dAWs and so my level of understanding, while high in DP, was starting off much
lower in Pro Tools. The second time I read the manual (and it was only about
900 pages back then as opposed to today's 1,200 pages), I began to see patterns
and understand certain concepts in a basic way. The third time I read the
manual (and I'm referring to the Pro Tools Reference Guide, of course), I did
it while sitting in front of Pro Tools with a control surface. As I read the
manual, I attempted to follow along and perform the various tasks. It was only
then that I truly learned Pro Tools. No, actually, I did do one more thing that
really solidified my understanding of the editing modes and behavior of Pro
Tools and that was to sit down with some sighted assistance and systematically
go through editing functions while the person explained what was happening
visually on screen. That, along with the audio feedback of what I was editing
solidified my understanding.

  All told, I spent about three months before installing the Pro Tools system
just reading manuals and nothing else. I did this while still having an analog
multitrack and console in the control room. I read in the evenings at home and
kept working full time with the old system while I learned about the new Pro
Tools software and hardware I was about to use. For me, the stakes were high
because I was about to transform my studio and workflow entirely. Not only had
I invested untold thousands in my previous analog system, but my new Pro Tools
HD investment was roughly $25,000. Again, the stakes were high because this was
my day job. I was going to work with clients sitting beside me, paying for my
time and failure was not an option. Others have similar stories and, in each
case, the ones who succeeded were the ones that lived by the old RTFM principle
which, for those few who may not know, stands for "read the fucking manual."
Naturally, I write those words with no malice whatsoever. It's just a figure of
speech but a very poignant phrase in this case for such an undertaking is not
for the faint of heart. Need I point out the fact that, apart from the weighty
Reference guide, there are multiple tomes for various aspects of hardware and
software related to using Pro Tools. A peek in the documentation folder will
reveal the plethora of reading choices.

  Now, there are obviously people on this list who use Pro Tools on a daily
basis with clients and there are those who just want to record their own
projects. The requirements for either type of person will vary accordingly and
the knowledge level of each will be commensurate to their stake in the game.
That includes their investment and what they need to get out of their system.
As one of the people who falls into the second category, I have to say that
it's clearly in my best interest from a time management standpoint to help
raise the proficiency level of everybody so that I can spend less time
answering very basic questions. Of course, that's already happened over the
years and there are more and more people gaining the knowledge necessary to
help new users with these basic issues. To be honest, I'm finding myself in the
same boat, albeit on a higher level, having to learn about new features that
weren't around when I learned Pro Tools so many years ago. For a considerable
amount of time, Pro Tools moved on and many of us were stuck on an old version,
missing out on those new features. Suddenly, we're finding ourselves facing the
prospect of revisiting the RTFM process. As with most endeavors, one reaps what
one sews. I, for one, am embarking on yet another marathon of reading the Pro
Tools manuals and I encourage others to do the same.

  While it is certainly a simple matter to create a Pro Tools session, create a
track and record-enable it, that is so much so only the tip of the iceberg.
Need I point out the fact that Pro Tools is an enormously complex program and
has features that many of us will never use? It should be no surprise then that
everyone will encounter a steep learning curve at some point and that curve
might seem more like a vertical wall than a slope but it is most definitely a
slope and, with patience, a manual and some specific questions answered on this
list, anyone can learn Pro Tools if they're willing to invest the time and
effort. Happy reading!

  Enjoy,