For those who might want to go the wireless route on the numeric keypad, the
Belkin Your Type Wireless Keypad is sold by Apple for around $50 but you might
find it for less elsewhere. I did have trouble getting it to work but the
solution is simple. Here's what happened for me:

First of all, tits in on the batteries, for what it's worth. After turning it
on, I went to set it up and was prompted to press the key immediately to the
right of the left shift key. Obviously, there isn't one. I pressed the z key on
a wired keyboard and was slapped on the hand by the OS but this got me to a new
dialog, previously unattainable, where I hit the skip button. This brought me
to a new dialog where I could choose between Japanese, European and American
layout. I chose the third radio button and hit OK. Still it wouldn't work. It
was certainly recognized and the OS reported it as being connected but it was
unresponsive to any commands.

Finally, after about a half an hour with Apple support and then another 15
minutes of Belkin support, I was told to turn off the unit, take out the
batteries, wait a few seconds, put 'em back in and power on the keypad once
again. Poof.

It works well and has virtually no latency and, as mentioned in my previous
message, does respond to modifiers issued from a separate device. Now, that
separate device happened to be a wired keyboard so I have yet to try a modifier
from a BlueTooth keyboard along with the Belkin keypad. I do have high hopes.