Thanks Slau. A bit of a shame. I have a piece of audio that I want to make very
precise edits on. Some of the edits won’t work if I just do a crude delete in
shuffle mode. In Sonar I would delete the portion of audio I didn’t want, then
cut the bit after that portion, and paste it over the top of the end of the
previous section, and the two bits of audio would seamlessly crossfade, and
you’d never know they had been edited. This has been a technique I’ve used for
years, and assumed it was a staple part of editing speech. Say you have a piece
of audio that says: “I am trying to … er … learn … ProTools.” I don’t want the
‘ers.’ Now I could just delete them, except this sentence has been recorded in
the street and there is the sound of traffic, and so you’d hear the shift in
the ambient sound if I just did a crude delete, and it wouldn’t sound natural.
It would be an obvious bad edit. So you need to blend the two clips and
crossfade them. So you delete an, er, and then take the portion of audio after
it, cut it, and paste it over the top of the last second or so of the previous
bit, giving you a lovely crossfade and a seamless edit. To do the equivalent of
this in PT, it seems as if I’ll have to create a bus, because I’m unfortunately
going to be working with multiple tracks, since I can’t do this track merge
technique, and I need the same EQ and compression settings to be in play for
both tracks. Then I’ll have to delete the piece of audio I don’t want, cut the
bit after it, paste it onto a new track, apply a fade out on the first track,
then apply a fade in on the second track. As you can see, that’s quite a few
more steps.

I don’t mind if this is what I need to do, but I thought I’d explain my
reasoning for wanting to do it in case you or anyone else can think of a
quicker way of doing this.

Oh dear, I am demanding aren’t I? I’m really getting the hang of ProTools, and
I have read the manual cursorily, and I’ve listened to the PT with speech
tutorials, but I’ve used Sonar for about ten years, and I was lightning fast on
the thing. So I’m just trying to migrate my knowledge over to PT.

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you again for your patients and help.