Hi folks.

What are some of your favorite tricks to get a nice rhythm guitar spread on a hard rock/metal track?

I usually get stuff here that features two rhythm guitars, if not distinct performances, at least different mics on one amp. Usually, I can at least pan them hard left and right, delay one side, then duplicate all that but delaying in the opposite direction to balance things out.

But, I received a single rhythm guitar track with this project and can't get others. A dry DI track is not available for re-amping, otherwise I would just do that.

Doing the usual wide pan then slight delay trick once gives me that annoying artifact of my brain focusing on the side that arrives sooner. Duplicating the track and panning/delaying on the opposite side doesn't give me a nice wall of guitar, it gives me too much piled up in the center. I've tried EQing them slightly different, using different delay times on each side, etc. with no real success.

So, what do you guys suggest I try next?
I realize I can knock one from each pair out of phaze for that beyond the speakers effect, but I worry about a lot of guitar disappearing when switching to mono.

All suggestions greatly received.

Chris