I have just one 512 gig ssd drive and that works fine, but I have thought about removing the DVD drive and putting in another SSD drive for the audio and as a backup. I wouldn't do that with mechanical drives in a laptop because that would be a lot of heat, but the ssd drives run much cooler. I'm surprised you've gotten away with using a usb 2 drive for streaming audio. Maybe on a mac it just works better than on a pc. I certainly would go with thunderbolt if possible. What kind of audio interface will he be using? If he is using a usb audio interface, a usb drive really wouldn't be a good idea because there just wouldn't be enough bandwidth for both.
Gord

-----Original Message----- From: TheOreoMonster
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 6:17 PM
To: ptaccess@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: specking up a mac for protools

Either from the avid webstore or a local dealer. The avid website can point you to these as well. Will pretty much cost you the same either way.
On Jan 19, 2015, at 5:48 PM, EsubalewT . <ethanjohnston...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I have a question, what is the cheepist way to buy Pro Tools? I
have a mac I bought for recording and editing perposes. Any idea's
would be valuable. Thank you so much!! Ethan