Hi everyone. Well, I’ve been steadily getting the hang of ProTools, so much so
that I haven’t had to post a single question to the list this year. I may even
be getting to the stage where I can help answer a few people’s questions.

Yesterday I needed to do some automation, for which I really could do with
using a control surface. I plugged in my midi keyboard, which has worked fine
with ProTools for instruments and controlling plugins such as Stutter Edit.
Unfortunately, it seems as if ProTools isn’t particularly accommodating when it
comes to control surfaces. Apparently there is no function like the Midi Learn
function, like with Sonar, where basically any midi device can be used by the
user manually assigning knobs and faders to parameters.
So, I suppose I’m going to have to buy a bloody control surface, which is a
purchase I could do without. But it’s untenable to use ProTools without being
able to automate with a control surface. I’m wondering what my options are
therefore. I don’t care about motorised faders, and I don’t need a lot of
faders. Two faders should be plenty, assuming that I can assign them to
different parameters. Any help on this subject would be very much appreciated.

In the meantime, is there any way of increasing the jump or speed of slider
value changes when I use the keyboard. Interacting with a slider and using VO
up or down arrow can be painfully slow at times. I thought that maybe I could
use the trackpad to make more rapid slider adjustments, but it seems to work
exactly the same as using VO up and down arrow.

Thanks.