Hi Brian,

It all depends how well you want to know it. First, you should read the Intro
to Pro Tools pdf and then move onto the Reference Guide. There's a lot of info
on setup and configuration at the beginning which you might not need to read,
especially if you're not using the Avid interfaces and HDX cards. There will
certainly be chapters on video and surround which probably won't interest you.
If you're looking to use it for yourself or light work, you can just pick and
choose what you think you'll need.

Personally, I needed to learn it fully so I read the entire manual once. Then I
read it again and I understood a lot more. Finally, while sitting in front of
the computer, I read the reference guide a third time while trying to perform
the actions outlined in the manual. I had some Pro Tools training in college
many years ago but that was quite basic and Pro Tools itself was no where near
as complex as it has become. Anyway, how much you want or need to learn is
really up to you. There's no easy answer for your question. What you put into
learning it is what you'll get out of it.

Slau