I've been a long-time proponent of customizing click tracks for projects. It's
somewhat time-consuming but I've always felt that it was worth it. That's
probably a holdover from the days before the Click plug-in was introduced.
Since I switched over to a new system at the studio, I've used the Click
plug-in sparingly and it's been fine but my needs were fairly straight-forward.
I've noticed several people on the list complain that they couldn't change
parameters or that the changes didn't seem to affect the output of the Click
plug-in. I had given it a quick look and couldn't seem to figure out why I
couldn't really change it either.

Well, I finally had a chance to sit down and figure it out. I've also created a
number of presets based on the sounds available from within the plug-in's
interface.

For those who haven't spent too much time with the plug-in, the very first
thing you'll probably want to do is turn off the "Follow Meter" parameter. If
you don't turn it off, pretty much nothing you do will have any effect on the
default settings. If you have meter events in your session and the Conductor is
enabled, well, then that's a different story but if you want to experiment with
the plug-in, turn off the "follow meter" parameter. Once you've done that, all
the parameters work as you'd expect.

The factory default setting includes the Classic Click sound with "follow
meter" enabled. I've created a folder of Click presets which you can download
here  Hopefully, Matt can put it up on his site for posterity. There are
probably a couple of dozen presets with various sounds organized into the same
folder structure as the plug-in contains.

One of the reasons I used to create my own custom click tracks was to
differentiate the "one e and uh" for sixteenth patterns. With the Click II
plug-in, there's only two notes: an accented and an unaccented. What you can
do, however, especially now that you have access to the plethora of preset
sounds, is create two click tracks and specify whole and quarter notes on the
first click track and eighths and sixteenths on the second click track and
simply assign two different presets to each plug-in.

If you end up having to use a tempo map, the meter events will control
everything regarding tempo and the click II plug-in will follow accordingly.

Enjoy,