When you're in the mix window and the tracks that you want to work
with are shown, just press Page Up and re-check those meters. Page UP
scrolls the window, hopefully bringing the problematic track into
focus visually, and once that's happened, things should start working
as expected with VoiceOver. If you've got a lot of tracks shown, you
might need to rinse and repeat the procedure a couple of times.

Hth explain it

Scott