First of all, if you're dealing with tracks that contain multiple clips, forget
clip gain. The Trim plug-in does what you're looking to do. Thing is, I could
be mistaken but it might be an HD feature only. It's been years since I've used
Pro Tools vanilla so I honestly don't know for sure. That said, the Trim
plug-in allows you to trim each track just as you would with a console with
tape machine returns. If you want to adjust a track's output across the board,
so to speak, you can do that with the volume parameter of the Trim plug-in.

HTH,

Slau