Every so often I encounter things in Pro Tools that seem like second nature for
me to deal with and it occasionally occurs to me that it may help some others
who might not have thought of a particular workaround or solution under the
same conditions or the same situation.

I often find myself using the Item Chooser to find specific things in a
session. When dealing with larger sessions, the Item Chooser can get pretty
lengthy and it might take VoiceOver a few seconds to compile everything. It
certainly helps to hide unused tracks to narrow things down a bit whenever
possible. Limiting what is being displayed in the Mix window is
straightforward. The Edit window, on the other hand can be deceiving. You can
hide absolutely all of the tracks and yet VoiceOver can still see a ton of
items. The culprit in this case is usually the Clip List. In fact, if you're
dealing with 30 or 40 tracks that have many edits and clips, the Clip List can
become extremely lengthy. I sometimes work on musical cast recordings that
feature more than 20 vocalists plus instruments with anywhere from 25 to 45
songs with multiple playlists. It's not uncommon for my Clip List to contain
many thousands of items. When bringing up the Item Chooser, it can take upwards
of 10 seconds to compile the Item Chooser list. The solution is simple: just
hide the clips List. Unless, of course, you're intending to work with clips in
the Clips List to delete or compact or whatever, hiding the clips list can
dramatically reduce the number of items in the Item Chooser List and greatly
speed up the process of compiling that list.

Hope that helps someone.