Hi Jason,
Look in pt preferences for "latching" the record.
I'm not at my pt 12 box now but when you turn on latching for record they all
should stay in rec.
That mode your in now is for when your rapidly moving through many   tracks, "
&& don't want to mistakenly arm a previous track.
May be Slau can chime in about the pt default behavior for the "rec" button.
YMMV
Chuck