I thought this might be of interest to some folks on the list, at least as a
sort of anecdote if not helpful information for the future.

As some of you might know, I've been using Apogee converters for a number of
years. Aside from their reputation and sound, one of the clinchers for me was
the fact that their software, Maestro, was accessible. Apogee has always been a
Mac-centric company and their software was, for lack of a better description,
Apple-like. Actually, I think there might have been some collaboration at one
point between the two companies.

Anyway, one of the developments in the recent past that disturbed me a bit was
the introduction of one of Apogee's interfaces that was apparently branded
through Avid as a Pro Tools Duet which was supposedly cross-platform
compatible. However, it was exclusively a Pro Tools interface and wouldn't work
with any other DAW. The dAW aspect didn't matter to me but what did matter was
the Windows compatibility. My major concern was, if the code was to now be done
in some new platform for porting to both Mac and windows, the application would
suddenly become inaccessible and that would just plain suck. Of course, it
would probably be an uphill battle and perhaps we would get back the
accessibility at some point but I really didn't relish the thought of having to
go through all of that.

So, while at AES, I visited the Apogee booth and spoke with one of the main
representatives. I explained the scenario and my concerns and projected a
possible situation where they might be able to make the Mac version of Maestro
accessible if they indeed were planning on going cross-platform, etc., etc. The
rep put his hand on my shoulder and, in one sentence, allayed my complex fears
by simply saying, "We're definitely not going cross-platform." The comic relief
of such a simple statement to relieve me of my concerns could only be matched
by my equally quaint gesture of shaking his hand and replying, "Well, have a
great show."

More observations and news about the show and other developments to follow soon.