By powered do you mean condenser microphones, as in, they require 48V?

It sounds like your levels are just too high, either at your audio interface, or input levels in ProTools.

Once you get your gain staging sorted out, mic placement may clean up some of your bleed between different parts of the kit. Or, use noise gating to take care of a lot of that spill.

No comment on CMG's post really. You certainly didn't ask how to set an EQ or anything about mixing in mono. Yes mixing in mono is a good idea, and I'm guessing CMG got this from Graham Cochrane, a popular recording and mixing educator online. Believe me, starting a mix in mono is not a rare or unusual idea. LOL Chris, shouldn't we try to get his gain staging and mic placement sorted out, maybe some help with setting up noise gates?

Vaughan, I apologize if in fact, you were looking for general mixing tips.