Brian,

There's no reason why moving to a different section of the song should erase
what you've recorded earlier. If you're recording to the first track and have
verified that the recording was done, disarm the track record enable button,
enable the next track, move to the section and start recording. That's exactly
how it should work. I hate to say it but it's almost always pilot error in
these cases. Sometimes people are not actually in record and they're simply
monitoring input. Sometimes they hit Command-period rather than the Space Bar
and inadvertently delete their recording. It could be any number of things.
Whatever the case is, verify that you've recorded the first section before
moving on and make sure you're not still monitoring the input of the first
track. Also, make sure it's not muted. Again, it could be virtually anything.
Let us know what you figure out.
Best,
Slau