  From: Slau Halatyn
  To: ptaccess@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:54 PM
  Subject: Re: Understanding Pre, vs. post fader sends

  Chris,

  One example will suffice for both scenarios. Let's say you had 3 instruments
whose signals you wanted to send to a reverb. Let's say it's drums bass and
guitar. Let's assume you've routed all 3 tracks' first send to the same bus and
it's feeding an aux input with a reverb plug-in. If you change nothing, all 3
instruments will send a fixed amount of signal to the bus and that might be
fine. However, given that bass typically doesn't need a lot of reverb and is
usually quite a bit drier than other instruments, to change the amount of
reverb on the bass, you would turn down the send level of the bass track
feeding the bus. Now the aux input is getting a little less bass relative to
the drums and guitar. Now, let's say you wanted to give the drums a bit extra
on the reverb, you could turn up the send level on the drum track. The aux
input will now be getting a little more of the drums relative to the other two
instruments. So now you have the 3 instruments being sent to a reverb with
varying levels that are independent of what their levels are in the main mix.

  You can think of the sends feeding the same bus as a little submixer with
each track's send level as the fader for that submixer. The bus is now carrying
a signal which is a mix unto itself. Rather than hearing that submix, however,
it's only being heard by the aux input which is altering that submix by running
it through a reverb, in this case, digital rather than a rack mount reverb
processor.

  Slau

  May 18, 2016, at 1:22 PM, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgillan...@gmail.com>