Hey Peter.  Like you I too work on Windows and Mac and have dug into Pro Tools
a bit.  For sure using PT is significanly slower than the other solutions that
you have described.  You can speed things up a bit by using a control surface
but personally still think it's a slower way of working.  Having said that
absolutly not knocking anyone who has gone the PT route and love the fact that
we have so many options available now for us.  Speaking of which, if you work
on Windows then another good option that is about to become available is Magix
Samplitude Pro X2 and Samplitude Pro X2 Suite.  Also on the Mac side we have
Cakewalk Sonar about to go into alpha testing so there's another potential
option for us.

On 2 June 2016 13:46:40 BST, Peter Bosher <peter.bos...@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>After using PT in earnest for a couple of months, I'm now reasonably
>confident with basic editing and mixing, including things like inserts
>and sends and using some plug-ins, but I still find it way, way slower
>than using Sonar with Caketalking, and I'm wondering whether anyone has
>some tips to speed things up.
>
>For example, if I want to know whether track 7 is muted, or check which
>tracks are currently armed, or the volume setting for track 12, or any
>number of things like this, I can do it with a couple of keystrokes in
>Sonar, whereas in PT, even using VO hotspots, It still seems to require
>quite a lot of VO cursoring around.
>
>I've seen references to Keyboard Maestro.  Would that help with this
>kind of thing?  Could anyone give a few examples of tips and tricks you
>use to speed things up?
>
>Best,
>
>Peter
>
>--