Hi all,

I’ve been having some strange issues with my machine and working with Pro Tools
the last few months and was hoping someone here either experienced something
similar or had suggestions for troubleshooting. All of this will take some
explanation, so please bear with me.

I have two macBook Pros. One is a 2012, and the other is a newer 2014. Both are
laptops. The 2012 model has a 2.5 ghz intel core i5 processor, while the 2014
macbook has a 2.8 ghz intel core i5 processor. The 2014 model is my main
computer, while the 2012 one was just an old laptop I still have, not really
being used. For most of this discussion, I’m referring to the 2014 macBook. I’m
using a Roland Studio Capture USB audio interface.

Everything seemed to be working ok, until I updated to Elcaputan in November of
2015. I’m not saying that Elcaputan is the cause of the issues, but I’m saying
that’s when I think I started to see these things start to appear, gradually.
First, pro tools had very rare, random errors of “cpu overload” during playback
or recording. My buffer size was set to 256 samples, which hadn’t changed, but
these cpu errors started to appear more frequently and with less playback or
recording time between them. Then I cleared out some old files, did a clean
install of everything, and everything was ok again, for the time being. That
only lasted for about 2 months. Near the end of January, the cpu issue started
coming back, with vengeance. There were times when I couldn’t even play through
a measure of a session without it popping up with the error, and the only way
to resolve it was by restarting pro tools, or sometimes the whole machine.
Recordings started to sound like record players, because of all the popping and
clicking when it did allow the session to play back without the error. And then
there were the days that nothing went wrong. Recording was perfect, no errors,
everything was fine. But those perfect days started to become fewer and fewer,
while nothing was really changing. I updated everything to the latest versions,
including plugins, pro tools, my interface driver, mac os, etc.

By the beginning of May it had gotten worse again, this time starting to effect
the system sound itself without pro tools. If I send system audio to my
interface simply from the output of the sound preferences, audio plays back
perfectly, for about 5 minutes. Then it just stops. The interface is still on,
everything looks ok, no errors, but no audio either. If I restart the audio
stream, or the song playing, etc. it is fine for another 5 minutes, then the
same thing happens. Confused by all of this, I made a backup of the entire 2014
machine, and cloned it to my 2012 macbook. Strangely, none of these issues
happen on my 2012 macbook. No cpu overload errors, no dropping out of audio, no
pro tools crashes due to this, and no popping on recordings. But, the computer
is significantly slower then my 2014 model, so I’d rather not make it my
primary machine. But I still don’t understand why this older laptop is
performing better then my newer, more powerful one.

I then took my 2014 macbook to the Apple store, to see what the genius bar had
to say. They sent it out for repair, and I got it back after they replaced the
logic board and fan. This still had no effect on the system or the issues I’m
having. So now I’m in the technology blame game. I called roland, and explained
everything, and they told me it’s a problem with my computer. But Apple tells
me there’s nothing wrong with my hardware. And if it was something software
related, wouldn’t it show itself in the clone of this machine on my 2012
macbook? All of my sessions are on an external hard drive. I’ve tried moving
some to internal, with no change in performance. I’m running pro tools 12.5,
and elcaputan version 10.11.4 on both machines. My sessions are usually
somewhere between 50 to 80 tracks or so, with numerous plugins on each track,
which is a lot, but why then, does the older laptop sail through it like it’s
nothing? If anything, the older laptop should be having the issues that my
newer one is having. Also, I’m using an artist mix control surface, powered by
Econ and the EuControl software. All of that is up-to-date as well.

I’m not sure what my next step is now. Do I do a clean reinstall of everything,
and risk that my problem still may not be solved? Do I just deal with it like
this? Or do I switch to my older laptop and deal with the lag of VoiceOver,
etc. for better pro tools performance? I do have wifi and bluetooth enabled on
both machines, because I’m working on getting ethernet in the room I’m I’m in
at the moment, but in the meantime I still need internet. Turning one or the
other or both off for long periods of time has not seemed to effect protools
performance, for better or worse on either machine. I apologize for the lengthy
post, and hope I wasn’t too detailed, but any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Thanks so much,

Rocco Fiorentino