Hi Jesse,

There are three main editing modes in PT, and if you look in the edit mode part of the edit window, you'll see which is selected. You can switch between them with shortcuts. These are:
F1 shuffle.
F2 Slip
F3 spot.

In shuffle mode, when you delete a section, everything moves forward to fill the gap. This is what you say you don't want. In slip mode, when you delete a section, the remaining stuff stays where it was in the timeline, so the deletion will be silent, and vocals will stay where they were. In spot mode, I believe that you can specify a position on the timeline, but I don't know how that works so perhaps others can explain.

HTH,

Peter