Hi Slau and Listers,

Thus far the S3 is tightly integrated with Pro Tools.  That being
said, the navigation using the S3 is the same as using a keyboard and
track pad, but all in one place.  If Pro Tools talks with either of
those devices, you will be satisfied using an S3.  But as far as any
greater level of verbalization for plug-ins, that will have to be
accomplished via either EuCon presenting the data for Voiceover to see
directly, or a third party programmer creating an interface
application that would allow us to custom define control code being
passed back and forth from software and hardware.

There is exciting hope in both of these regards, but I am not the one
to speak to these possibilities.  I myself have been quietly
advocating for over 3 decades to both hardware and software
manufacturers for greater access in the digital audio work field, and
it’s the usual, 2 steps forward, 1 back,  three steps forward and 2
back etc. etc.

However, I’d like to take this moment to encourage all DAW and control
surface users, and future users, to understand that the HUI and Mackie
protocols have a defined half-life, and will be phased out in the not
too distance future as stated by the companies in the industry.  Many
control surfaces such as the SSL Nucleus, S3, S6 and the list could go
on, are already designed to utilize the EuCon protocol.  Therefore,
many of your investments will not be lost and quickly become obsolete
if they support the EuCon protocol.  EuCon is currently the most
robust as far as system integration and is the future of many
peripheral devices such as the new Avid MTRX I? O, and supported mic
preamps like the Neve 4081.  The Neve 4081will allow for direct
control of the preamps via EuCon directly from Pro Tools channel
strips.  Won’t that be awesome if and when we can see and hear these
controls from within the DAW?

All this to say, there can be more and more universal access if indeed
EuCon is to become accessible just as Avid, Ilok and even Native
Instruments have graciously implemented to date.

The big picture here for everyone to understand, if we are to gain
this level of accessibility, a visually impaired person will be able
to compete in the workforce with technology that is already in a
worksite.  A potential employer would not have to purchase any
additional and costly access technology in order to hire a visually
impaired person.  It will all be present in the Mac operating system,
DAW software, and the hardware supported by EuCon.

FYI, even Sonar 8.0 and the Tascam 1884 supported EuCon going back
years ago!  Grin!

Take Care,

Sean