Hi to all

Anyone of you using a PCIE SSD over Thunderbolt for samples? I'm thinking about
getting a portable PCIE SSD which connects to thunderbolt or a PCIE Box like
OWC
Helios or Sonnet Echo which would hold an internal drive and give a bit more
options for future wishes. What would you recommend? I have a MBP 2015 and am
looking for something which would work when I perhaps will get a Mac Pro. It's
just rumours but maybe there will be something better and more modular coming
in 2018 or 2019 after the trash chan model from 2013.
But concerning the subject of this mail I'd like to give some details of what
happened to me and why I am searching for professional stuff:

I Bought an Akitio Thunder3 Quad Mini, it's an external enclosure for 4 2,5
SATA drives. And I put two Samsung 850 Pro and two 850 Evo SSD drives into it
which I already have. My plan was to have a nice tidy box which would provide a
place for my sample libraries, audio projects, temporary files etc.
Just want to let you know that I don't recommend this particular setup. I have
a MacBook Pro 15 from 2015 with Thunderbolt 2. I connected the Akitio enclosure
over an apple USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. (The akitio TB
Adapter doesn't work in my case, so best don't bother with it).
After about an hour I heard that one of my drives was ejected incorrectly. This
happened a few times in random intervals so far, with the Evo and the Pro
drives.
And concerning the Samsung 850 SSD drives: I once installed the native Komplete
11 Ultimate successfully on a 850 Pro 1TB. After a clean installation of my mac
I wasn't able to just install the library files which need to go on the mac
internal SSD. So I decided to really start anew and download everything again.
Imagine my surprise as Native Access gave the message that there isn't enough
free space on the freshly deleted and mac formated 1TB SSD. Indeed, the mac
Disc managing tool showed that on the supposed empty SSD would be about 600GB
space already taken.
Some research let's me guess that this is because The 850 Pro probably aren't
apple certified and the mac OS doesn't support Trim for such drives, unless you
enable it yourself after each OS installation in the terminal. There might be a
Trash folder which isn't really deleted.
I tried the Shareware Kocktail which is supposed to be able to delete the trash
effectively. But it didn't work in my case.

Originally I wanted to be budget conscient and do the best with things I
already have. But I guess buy nice or buy twice is really true. So after all
this I'm just not willing to invest more time in this setup. I read about PCIE
SSDs and think that one for samples would be good to have. Reading speed is
just amazing compared to SATA 3. For Project files, temp files etc. I'd still
go with SSDs over SATA interface. I read good things about the blackmagic
multidock 2. But for my samples I'd like to have something much faster.
So, what do you think?

Thanks
Ben