Hi Jed,
For what it's worth, Avid's system requirements for Pro Tools is now at 16 GB
of RAM. The internal HD space isn't critical although that assumes you're using
an external media drive. Go with the fastest, most tricked out computer you can
reasonably afford. At the very least, 16 GB of RAM will make a huge difference.
HTH,
Slau