If I may attempt to simplify everything thats been said.  On most modern
interface you should be able to get enough gain for a dynamic mic. Yes with a
Condenser mic you won’t need as much gain. Also in reaper You can use item
volume to turn  up or down the volume of the individual item, this is found in
the Item properties dialog. (This is the equivalent to clip gain in pro tools )
(In Reaper they are called items what pro tools calls clips.) In reaper there
are also volume plug ins that work similarly to how the trim plug in works in
pro tools. As for compressor, just use the stock ReaComp or the stock Pro Tools
compressor for now. Don’t worry about  styles and types of compressors until
you are more comfortable with compressors and you know what a compressor does.
Stock compressors are made to work reasonably well in pretty much any
situation. Lastly in my opinion, ditch the mixer and get an inexpensive audio
interface like the Behringer 404HD. Interfaces are a much simpler affair and
less knobs to get lost in like a mixer. I recommend the 404HD as its has a lot
of physical controls and doesn’t rely on software to do certain things. The
202HD and the 204HD are also good if you don’t need as many inputs and the 1820
is great if you need more inputs.