Generally, I try to get as low buffer size as possible without getting audio hiccups/dropouts. Put it too high, you'll get latency like none other. Put it too low, you'll get dropouts, which also believe me, are not pretty.

It's kind of hard to say. It really depends on your session, what you're doing as far as workflow, etc. The best thing I can tell you is to just experiment, until you find that sweet spot that works.

Chris.