I have some notes about how to do this in
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cxh/ptpub/addinganactor.htm
-Christopher
--------

    I tried to add a group for my application-specific actors to
    Vergil by doing the following:
    1)  Creating the file "myThingies.xml" (by mangling math.xml)
        to look like

        <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
        <!DOCTYPE plot PUBLIC "-//UC Berkeley//DTD MoML 1//EN"
            "http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/xml/dtd/MoML_1.dtd";>
        <entity name="myActors" class="ptolemy.moml.EntityLibrary">
          <configure>
            <?moml
              <group>
          <doc>Application Specific Actors</doc>

          <entity name="Thing1" class="ptolemy.actor.lib.Thing1">
          </entity>

              </group>
            ?>
          </configure>
        </entity>

    2)  Editing the file ".../ptolemy/vergil/lib/rootEntityLibrary.xml"
        to contain the input source entry
        "<input source=".../myThingies.xml"/>

    When I fired up Vergil, nothing new appeared.  What have I missed?
    Do I have to recompile part of the Ptolemy distribution to make
    this work?

    Thanks,

     -- Bill Wood