Bill:

Dataflow alone is perhaps not ideal for networking applications
since it is awkward to specify control using pure dataflow.
There are several possibilities:

1) Dataflow + FSM.  A hierarchical combination of these
    might be a good solution.  We have an experimental formalism
    called heterochronous dataflow that is expressive with
    regard to control, but decidable like SDF (and hence,
    in principle, amenable to synthesis).  See paper by
    Girault, Lee, and Lee on the Ptolemy website.

2) Synchronous/Reactive.  Dataflow-ish in flavor, but better
    at control.

3) SR + PN, with PN at the top.  SR provides fairly tightly
    coupled concurrency, which may not match your architecture
    well.  We have done very little experimentation with SR + PN,
    but it seems promising.  Some people advocate this sort of
    "globally asynchronous, locally synchronous (GALS)" approach.

4) Timed Multitasking (TM).  Aimed at implementation using
    priority-driven RTOSs, but with a more deterministic model
    of computation than that offered by threads and semaphores,
    the standard RTOS-based development strategy.

Edward

At 10:43 AM 5/14/2002 -0500, Bill Wood wrote:
>   . . .
> > I think it is more common in this application area to use
> > discrete-event modeling (as in the DE domain) and finite
> > state machines (as in the FSM domain).
>
>Several people made essentially this point; it's well-taken
>and I basically agree.
>
>I'm wrestling with the problem of finding a good model of
>computation to support design of applications that are to
>be implemented on coarse-grained arrays.
<snip>
>I envision an environment in which a developer can design an
>application in a high-level data-flow or process network
>notation, validate at the high level for correctness, then
>map onto the implementation architecture and validate for
>performance.

<snip>