In comp.soft-sys.ptolemy, Marco Antoniotti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Christopher Hylands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > The version of Installshield's installer that was used with
> > Ptplot5.1p1 does not work with JDK1.4.  Basically, their product has a
> > significant design flaw that prevents it from working with JVMS that
> > are not known at the time the installer is built.
>
> Thanks.  That explains it.
>
> > Either use JDK1.3, or download the source tar file which includes
> > the jar files and run it by hand.
>
> Ok.  Could you please remove the InstallShield version from your site
> then?
>
> JVM 1.4 is now pretty widespread, and my inability to install PtPlot
> 5.1 promptly (meaning, in 3 minutes) on a particular machine has
> caused a lot of harm to my project.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Marco Antoniotti ========================================================
> NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group        tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
> 719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
> New York, NY 10003, USA                 http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
>                     "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
>                            Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.

I was waiting to update the instructions because I thought that my
time would be better spent getting an updated installer out the door,
but it seems like I'm still a few weeks away from getting the
installer ready, so I went ahead and updated the page.

I did find a fairly simple workaround:

     Another workaround is to extract the files in the setup.exe file:

      ./ptplot5_1p1setup.exe -is:extract

     Then run

      java -jar ptplot5_1p1setup.jar

-Christopher