Excellent!  This look very useful...

Edward

At 10:49 AM 12/22/2005 -0700, Michael J Wirthlin wrote:

In honor of the BYU-Cal football game tonight (Las Vegas Bowl), I thought I would send an email summarizing the changes I made (here at BYU) to the FixPoint infrastructure:

ptolemy.math.Precision.java
 - Provide support for unsigned FixPoint values
 - Modify the way Precision is represented internally
   (sign, bits, exponent offset)
 - Provide 4 String representations of a given precision
   (including ability to parse and recognize the appropriate
    precision format)
   "3.2" (integer.fraction)
   "5/3" (length/integer)
   "2:-2" (vhdl)
   "5e-2" (length e exponent)
FixPoint.java
 - Provide "lossless" arithmetic operators. These operators
   will generate FixPoint results that "grow" if overflow occurs.
 - Provide quantized versions of these operators. Quantization
   is a parameter for each operator.

Changes were also made to the following classes to support the modified FixPoint strategy:

Overflow.java
Rounding.java
Quantization.java
FixPointQuantization.java

If you have any questions or comments on the changes, feel free to discusss them.

- Mike

--
Michael J. Wirthlin
Associate Professor