The only use for it in the Ptolemy tree (that I know of) is
to instantiate or subclass actor-oriented classes.
See for example the demos (both linked to in the Tour of Ptolemy II page):

  $PTII/ptolemy/config/doc/ClassesIllustrated.xml
  $PTII/ptolemy/domains/sdf/demo/NoisySinewave/NoisySinewave.xml

Edward