I think that what's going on in your model is that when the
output of the ContinuousClock goes to 1, the ModalModel
starts switching states without letting time advance any
further.  This is the right behavior under CT semantics,
since the guard on both transitions is "trigger == 1", and
hence when the trigger input has value 1, both guards are
true. Your model specifies an infinite number of state
transitions in zero time.

In the attached model, I made the following changes:

 - changed the outside director to DEDirector
 - removed the inside director
 - changed the ContinuousClock to Clock
 - changed the directorClass parameter of the ModalModel
   to ptolemy.domains.fsm.kernel.FSMDirector (note that this
   would have been the default if you had first used the ModalModel
   with DEDirector).
 - set the synchronizeToRealTime parameter of the director to true.

I think you really want DE, not CT for this type of model.
CT is useful when you have continuous dynamics (given by ordinary
differential equations). It has much more subtle semantics that
cleanly support hybrid systems (mixing continuous dynamics with
discrete dynamics).  Your model, in fact, is a hybrid system with
Zeno behavior. See:

http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/publications/papers/05/OperationalSemantics/

DE is much simpler.  In the attached model, each time the Clock generates
an output, the ModalModel executes one transition.  Replace the Clock
with PoissonClock and you get a much more interesting model with random
behavior...

Hope this helps.

Edward