Hi Lou,

Wikipedia defines System Dynamics as:

  System dynamics is one approach to modeling the dynamics of complex
  systems such as population, ecological and economic systems, which
  usually interact strongly with each other. Systems Dynamics was
  founded in the early 1960s by Jay W. Forrester of the MIT Sloan School
  of Management with the establishment of the MIT System Dynamics
  Group. At that time, he began applying what he had learned about
  systems during his work in electrical engineering to everyday kinds of
  systems. What makes using System Dynamics different from other
  approaches to studying complex systems is the use of feedback
  loops. Stocks and flows are the basic building blocks of a System
  Dynamics model. They help describe how a system is connected by
  feedback loops which create the nonlinearity found so frequently in
  modern day problems. Computer software is used to simulate a system
  dynamics model of the situation being studied. Running "what if"
  simulations to test certain policies on such a model can greatly aid
  in understanding how the system changes over time.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Dynamics)

I'm not sure what SD software looks like and how it differs from
Ptolemy.  The wiki page has some links to some software, a quick
glance did not bring up a screen shot.  Is there a particular package
I should look at?

There are several ways to encourage development in an area:
1) Provide financial support the Ptolemy project via the California
Micro grant system.  This requires finding a student, or covering
Edward's time or my time.  Details are at
http://ptolemy/sponsoring_main.htm

2) Do the work yourself, follow the Ptolemy style guide and
contribute the software.  See
http://ptolemy/ptolemyII/ptIIfaq.htm#Contributions

3) This sounds like it might work well in Kepler, where the
CT domain gets reskinned as an SD model.  Kepler is doing lots
of usability work and has nifty icons.  Kepler is targeted
more towards scientists whereas Ptolemy is targeted towards
researchers interested in models of computation.  It sounds like
your stakeholders would prefer Kepler over Ptolemy.

_Christopher

--------

    Hi,

    I use System Dynamics (SD) models to engage stakeholders (those of
    little background or interest in the necessary math but are the
    policy-makers, hold the purse strings, and hold the biases as the
    system experts).  I believe SD is probably the most intuitive
    modeling platform to build CT models but there are many
    constraints that Kepler/Ptolemy could rectify.  I am asking my
    question under the notion that stakeholders will have trouble
    "seeing" their system with the Ptolemy mapping/icon modeling
    layer.  Models are probably useless in the practical world if
    stakeholders cannot "buy into" the model.  To many stakeholders,
    modeling is intellectual voodoo and there is a lack of trust
    (e.g. you can prove anything to the layperson with the wrong
    statistics model) that must be overcome and SD is a tool that
    enables this.

    What would it take to encourage Ptolemy developers to build a
    SD-like layer of system modeling (using icons of stock and flows
    and also keep the converters and look-up tables or graphs)
    interfaced with the more mathematically versatile modeling of
    ptolemy.  For example the SD stock is the integration thus a link
    to an integrator actor (?).  A package of SD-specific actors?

    Thanks,
    Lou