To: <ptolemy-hackers@bennett.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:10 AM
Subject: Moml package dependency over the GUI

Hi,

I have checked out the nightly build and have noticed that it introduces a dependency over the GUI in the moml package. Here at Drone we're trying to stay sync with PtII CVS but we don't include the GUI classes, so we need to fix this.

The error is in ptolemy.moml.SharedParameter in the getRoot() function. There's a comment there that aknowledges this dependency and proposes a way to circumvent it:

           // FIXME: this means that ptolemy.moml depends on
           // ptolemy.actor.gui.  We could either do instanceof
           // or else create ptolemy.kernel.ConfigurationBase
           // and have Configuration extend it.
           if (result instanceof Configuration) {

I'm not familiar enough with PtII to understand what I need to do here. For the moment I've decided to comment it out but it would be nice if someone on this list could explain to me what this is about and how I could help fix it.

Thanks,

--
J. S. Senécal
http://drone.ws