I'd like to know if there is a "standard" way of doing this as well.

I've done something like this by looking for an Effigy/Tableau. In my case
there isn't an Effigy, but in yours you may have one or more Effigy's but
you shouldn't have any Tableau('s) (or at least any with non-null frames) if
you are running headless.

Brian