All I really want to do is use a bunch of the same type of star, and somehow
assign a unique number to each instance of the star without the user having
to enter the unique number as a parameter on every star.  I thought
accessing the OctHandle might be a way to do this.  Right now I'm trying to
create a global integer variable that is initialized to 0 the first time
that type of star is accessed.  Then if it is not the first time, the
variable is incremented through a C function call.  But this seems to be
unusually difficult too.  Any tips?  Here are my C files that define the
function and initialization of the global variable:

------------------------ InitPath.h --------------------------------
#ifndef _InitPath_h
#define _InitPath_h

extern int GetUniquePath(void);

#endif

#ifndef UNIQUE_ID
#define UNIQUE_ID
        int *unique = 0;
#endif

-------------------------- InitPath.cc ----------------------------
#include "InitPath.h"

int GetUniqueID(void)  {

        (*unique)++;
        return *unique;
}

Then from the star I call the function
        int starNumb = GetUniqueID();
to get a unique number, but every time ptolemy crashes as though I'm
stepping on memory.

Thanks again,

Beth Savoy
Corning, Inc