Christopher Hylands wrote:

> There are two way:
>
> 1) Ptolemy is an X11 program, so you can log in to the machine
> that has Ptolemy installed locally and set your DISPLAY variable to
> the name of the remote machine and then start up pigi and it should
> display on your remote machine.
>
> 2) You could use NFS to export the file system that Ptolemy is
> installed on and then mount that file system on the other machine and
> then run pigi on the other machine.
>
> The details of both of these methods are somewhat off topic for this
> group, you should consult with your local expert, or have a look at
> some of the Linux how-to documentation about X11 and NFS
>
> -Christopher
>
> --------
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I setup Ptolemy 0.7.1 on Red Hat Linux 5.1. And our laborartory have
>     configed a LAN network. Can I run Ptolemy in that computer when I am in
>     other computers in LAN. If can, could you give me some guidance and
>     advice to do it.
>     Many thanks in advance.
>
>     Do Trong Tu

> mail for this list to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Do Trong Tu:

Actually, Christopher did already tell everything and your question is
not a Ptolemy specific one. However, I want to give you a short example
which might be helpful for a newbie. I guess you are interested in way
1):

a) By default, access from remote machines to your local X11 display is
denied for security reasons. You have to grant access for the remote
machine (called <ptolemy_host> in the example below). You have to
replace <ptolemy_host> by the name of the remote host, where Ptolemy is
installed:

        xhost + <ptolemy_host>

b) Login into <ptolemy_host>, e.g.:

        telnet <ptolemy_host>

c) After the login process has finished successfully, redirect the X11
output of programs executed on the remote machine to your local display
on your <local_host>. This can be done by setting the environment
variable DISPLAY. You have to replace <local_host> by the name of your
local host. The suffix ":0" specifies the X11 display number which is
usually 0 if you have attached only one X11 display to your local
computer. The following example is for sh compatible shells (sh, bash,
ksh):

        DISPLAY=<local_host>:0
        export DISPLAY

   Hint: Some recent versions of remote login tools (telnet, ssh)
         will already set the DISPLAY variable automatically.
         If this is true for you then you can omit this step.

d) Now you should be able to start up pigi (and other X11 programs) on
the remote machine and see the X11 output on your local machine:

        pigi

HINT: The whole process can be automated using the login scripts and/or
shell functions. Please ask your local system administrator for help.

Regards,

Wolfgang.
--
Wolfgang Reimer (Dr.-Ing.)

Technische Universität Ilmenau - Ilmenau University of Technology
Address:   TU Ilmenau, FEI/IKM, PF 100565, 98684 Ilmenau, GERMANY
http://ikmcip1.e-technik.tu-ilmenau.de    Phone: +49-3677-69-2619
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Fax  : +49-3677-69-1195

V I R T U A L      P H O T O N I C S      I N C O R P O R A T E D
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]         http://www.virtualphotonics.com