I don't think there is an easy way to get at the number
You might try searching the Ptolemy Hackers mailin list at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/search/wais.htm#Searching
for 'unique number'

You might find the following of interest:

-Christopher
--------

    Hi,

    We're currently looking at multiple instances of stars and we've noticed
    that each star of the
    same name has a unique number after it. Does anyone know how to get access
    to this number
    through pl code? It's useful to know exactly which instance of the star
    you're dealing with.

    Cheers
    Ian

   -
    -------------
    Ian Jerram MPhys(Hons) GradInstP    Tel: +44 (0)118 923 8323

    Racal Research Ltd.                                Fax: +44 (0)118 923 8399
    Worton Drive,                                        Mob: +44 (0)7974 71571
   1

    Worton Grange Industrial Estate,        http://www.racal-research.com
    Reading RG2 0SB
    UK

    This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for
    the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may
    not be divulged to any third party without the express permission of
    the originator.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the
    individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to
    be the views of Racal Research Ltd.