> From: "Selvan Pillaai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Thank you for your help in defining the classpath for
> Ptolemy ( d:\jdk1.2.2\Ptolemy). If not for that I would not have figured out
> how to compile Ptolemy. I'm still in the basic phase in understanding this
> model.
>
> I can successfully compile the TutorialApplet1~2.java,
> producing the .class files.
>
> Somehow I can't produce the applet to be viewed for both
> TutorialApplet1~2.java.
>

> Tried using the :
>
> ~appletviewer Tutorial.htm
>
> it's opening the applet window but a message :
> start:applet not initialized, is appearing.
>
> I've even changed the class name and file to TutorialApplet.java, as the
> HTML coding used for tutorial.htm has that as it's applet code.
>
> Don't know how to initialize the applet?
>
> Must I modify the coding in doc\tutorial\TutorialApplet1.java to include
> public static void main() or is there any other method to initialize the
> applet used in TutorialApplet1.java.
>
> Your help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
>
> Warm Regards,
>
> Selvan Pillaai.

I'm not sure what the problem is.
The 'Start: applet not initialized string' is from
jdk1.2.2/lib/tools.jar, which is used by appletviewer.

My guess is that the applet is not being started in the directory
where the codebase applet parameter thinks it is being started
If you have moved the files around, then you will need to restructure
the applet tag.

It could be that your CLASSPATH is not being propagated to
appletviewer.  You are using the DOS shell, so I believe that if
you set your CLASSPATH in the Environment tab of the System control
panel then appletviewer should in theory see the CLASSPATH change.

I'm not sure about the directory structure you are using, the Ptolemy
II 0.4beta distribution usually ends up in a directory called
ptII0.4beta.  Since you are using a DOS prompt, this could be causing
problems with 8.3 names.  You might try installing Cygwin and using
the bash shell, which understands full names.

Also, I'm not sure what operating system you are running under.
We have used Ptolemy II 0.4 under NT4.0 extensively, but to my
knowledge, we have never tested it under Windows 98.  We are starting
to use Windows 2000.

Also, you might check out some of the applet resources in
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII0.4/ptII0.4/doc/index.htm
to get a better understanding of how applets work.
You might try compiling a small applet, such as the Blink applet from
the tutorial, and get that working.

You could try converting the applet to an application, but I think you
would likely run in to similar problems.  My guess is that you are
having CLASSPATH and directory problems.

CLASSPATH is one of the worst aspects of Java.  Only in the more
recent releases have they started to fix some of the big problems.
It is too bad that the CLASSPATH variable uses different separators on
different platforms - so much for write once, run everywhere.

-Christopher