Thanks for the thorough trace of your interactions with MathSoft!  I am still in
shock that in the 3 years since the advent of glibc2 they have not moved to
linking against it.  I can't believe that they don't spend more time on
supporting libc5 issues on modern linux installs than it would take them to
relink against glibc2.  I am actually not stuck as you are having to use STL,
though I suspect I might run into some issues in some cases where I was going to
be trying to invoke matlab C code using Java native methods.  I did at least
manage finally to get a libc5 compiler installed and working properly enough to
compile things and be able to load them under MATLAB.  I will file a bug report
with Mathsoft myself to encourage them to do the relinking job.