configure is trying to check to see if it can run Jacl, which is
a 100% Java implementation of a subset of Tcl.  Jacl is used only
by the test suite, so if configure finishes, then you should be able
to run Ptolemy II.

It looks like the version of Java you are running does not have
java.io.FileInputStream.available()

My guess is that you are running an old version of the JDK.
What do you get when you run
java -version

Ptolemy II requires JDK1.2 or later and really works best under
JDK1.3

-Christopher

--------

    there is an error when I run ./configure on my O2 Silicon graphics and unde
   r Irix
    6.3:

    "
    checking for ptjacl.jar... /usr/people/arnould/ptII1.0.1/lib/ptjacl.jar
    checking for how to run jacl with /usr/java/bin/java -native...
    4641:/usr/java/bin/../bin/sgi/native_threads/java: rld: Fatal Error: attemp
   ted
    access to unresolvable symbol in
    /usr/java/bin/../lib/sgi/native_threads/libhpi.so: pthread_getconcurrency
    CLASSPATH=/usr/people/arnould/ptII1.0.1/lib/ptjacl.jar /usr/java/bin/java -
   native
    tcl.lang.Shell failed
    checking for how to run jacl with /usr/java/bin/java ... % java.io.IOExcept
   ion:
    Function not implemented
            at java.io.FileInputStream.available(Native Method)
            at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:282,
    Compiled Code)
            at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:93, Compil
   ed
    Code)
            at java.io.InputStreamReader.fill(InputStreamReader.java:173, Compi
   led
    Code)
            at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:249, Compi
   led
    Code)
            at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:139, Compiled Co
   de)
            at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299, Compile
    Code)
            at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:363, Compile
    Code)
            at tcl.lang.ConsoleThread.run(Shell.java:282, Compiled Code)
    % java.lang.NullPointerException
            at tcl.lang.ConsoleThread.run(Shell.java:282, Compiled Code)"

    is it due to the old version of the OS from the file it-self?
    How can I fix the problem, or install it in another way?
    best regards,