Daniel =?iso-8859-1?Q?L=E1zaro?= Cuadrado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
    Hi everybody!

    I would like to know whether you have ever considered to use the Infobus
    technology within Ptolemy II and if so, what was the result (if there is
    any useful applicability of it to the projet, why or why not).

    Thanks a lot!
----

http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/infobus/
says:
  InfoBus enables dynamic exchange of data between JavaBeansTM component
  architecture by defining a small number of interfaces between
  cooperating Beans and specifying the protocol for use of those
  interfaces. The protocols are based on a notion of an information
  bus. All components which implement these interfaces can plug into the
  bus. As a member of the bus any component can exchange data with any
  other component in a structured way, including arrays, tables, and
  database rowsets.

I'm not very familiar with InfoBus, but it looks like InfoBus uses
some sort of dataflow semantics as opposed to event driven semantics.

http://esuite.lotus.com/devsite/devsite.nsf/Linking+View/eSuite+InfoBus+Technology+Brief
says:

  The InfoBus is similar to a hardware bus. Multiple consumers can
  receive and use data published by a producer, and a consumer can
  easily obtain data from multiple producers. In fact, a request for
  data can elicit multiple responses. Multiple conversations can occur
  simultaneously without requiring anything special from the
  participating components.

When we were first developing Ptolemy II, we looked at Java beans in
general, and sort of wondered what the model of computation was.
Classic Java Beans are sort of event driven.  I'm not sure
what can be said about determinacy.

I'm not sure if InfoBus was around when we started in on Ptolemy II.

Ptolemy II is a framework for developing models that use various
models of computation.  For example, I'm not sure how we would use
InfoBus to implement continuous time semantics.

InfoBus looks interesting though, we should take a good look at it.

-Christopher