Daniel Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Tyler Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I think this this is a great initiative and could be the next "Mississippi
>> project" (in a different neighborhood of course). Why don't we allocate a
>> weekly meeting to planning what this might look like and maybe form a
>> "committee" of sorts to see if we can give this thing some "legs". All of
>> this of course depends on wether or not MIke and I are the only ones that
>> thing this is a good idea.
>>

> I think this is a great idea.

I concur.
>  Actually I think this is a necessary
> idea.

Very much so. Building out a large scale LAN only takes you so far. Some
point you need to back haul it.

Telcos can cut you off at that point if you don't control the local loop.

Once you peer with a tier2 you should be safe(ish).
>  When Verizon installs fiber to the home they rip out the old
> copper wires.  The way the laws are setup you are no longer able to
> choose your ISP when that happens.  I would really love the high
> speeds of fiber, but I'm not willing to give up my freedom from
> monopoly to do it.

Indeed.
> My feeling is that the cable TV industry is moving towards fiber to
> the home too, but I think they may be even more opposed to freedom
> than the traditional telcos.

Perhaps. They have lots and lots of dark fiber about. Paying them a
token fee for access to HFC might be worth it. I know of a company that
specializes in exactly this.

http://www.opticalzonu.com/