On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The city of Ashland did something similar several years ago (AFN) with
> help from locals agreeing to a food a services sales tax plus a small
> property tax to help cover expenses. It quickly spun out of financial
> manageability but I haven't read up on it in a couple of years to hear
> whether they saved it or not. Anyone here in the know?
> ashlandfiber.net still has a website...

I went down to meet with the Ashland folks. They are indeed alive and
well. They approached things  differently than what we're talking
about here, with the city essentially building a cable network (using
fiber for the backhaul). They have not leveraged the assets of local
data centers and ISPs who have bandwidth of their own (likely because
neither exists in a substantial fashion in Ashland) so they
essentially provide the entire service, even though individual ISPs
sell the service and provide billing, first-tier tech support and
add-ons such as email for their customers.

The model we've been discussing would have only the infrastructure
publicly or community owned, with local (or national) ISPs providing
all the bandwidth, customer service and other services to their
customers. There is no reason, in Portland, to create COs or new data
centers to terminate the fiber, as we have substantial choice in
carrier neutral facilities where ISPs could service customers with a
simple cross connect. You would of course, need some body that oversaw
the maintenance of the infrastructure and handled cross connects with
the ISPs, but otherwise, once your fiber was installed, you'd work
directly with whatever service provider(s) you chose.

--
Michael Weinberg
President