Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> So the question is, given physical and economic constraints, how
> can we design the orbiting system to match the community system
> even better?   I hope we can explore that at the monthly.

This may sound like an odd question but how do amateur satellite
hobbyists currently get launch clearance for their projects? Is it wrong
to assume that space is somewhat like international waters go as far as
jurisdiction goes do all space faring nations have a say in what goes
where? Who says what can be put in LEO, MEO, or GEO? U.S. Strategic
Command is already tracking over 8000 objects in low earth orbit so I'm
sure several parties will notice if you launch something from U.S. soil
in to space. Couldn't you get in serious trouble without clearing
something like this with the authorities? And I haven't even brought up
the question of what individuals can do to minimize the chances of a
Kessler Syndrome...? The cost of entry in this kind of hobby must be
high but what if it becomes affordable some day for every grade school
to launch their own satellite? Personally, I think that we be pretty
damn cool so I'm not trying to be a wet towel. I'm just curious.

-Gary